Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Why Plan an After Prom Party

From the time I enrolled my daughter in elementary school it seemed that the world was out to ruin her innocence.

Her know-it-all six year old friends with older brothers and sisters shared the world’s reality with her on a daily basis. And I, who was happy living in the land of talking stuffed animals, was in no hurry to debate the concept of Santa Claus.

Unfortunately, that age of innocence doesn’t last long enough. Whether we like it or not, reality plops itself on the sofa in our living room and sits there while our children struggle through adolescence. About the time that we’re able to find some common ground, they’re talking to us about claiming their independence and graduating from high school.

This is an excerpt from an article I wrote for publication. Read the entire article here...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori,

I wanted to thank you and I have a question. I bought your book for our prom committee hoping that it would make our job easier. In fact, you gave me so many ideas, I think our collective heads will be swimming when I introduce the group to your book during our next meeting. What a great resource this will be as we move along this uncharted path, you've made our job so much easier, it doesn't look like you've missed anything. Thank you very much.

My question is this. Our school is a small inner-city high school where the majority of the parents are not well off. One of the concerns that the committee has is that a lot of the seniors may not go to the prom because they can't afford the dresses and all that goes with a modern prom. Do you think it would be acceptable to make the prom casual? We're afraid that the cost to attend may keep a lot of kids home.